This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hungarian Mushroom Soup is a creamy, warm and satisfying meal. It’s a delicious bowl of comfort with incredible earthy flavor. An easy to make soup you’ll love on chilly days.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
To me, there is nothing quite like a bowl of warm soup. It’s simply the best of the best. It’s comfort in a bowl, almost like a warm blanket or a chat with your best friend… or movie night with the family, a roaring fire… or a great book!
OK– don’t laugh. Not overstating it at all! I absolutely love soup (which if you search soup recipes here at 31Daily, you’ll find quite a few!). But this soup is a little special. Why?
4 Things to Love About Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Incredible earthy flavors
- Creamy and velvety texture
- Very little chopping
- So simple to make you almost can’t believe it
- Keeps for 5 days in the refrigerator (think delicious lunches!)
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
If you’re reading this recipe, I will assume you love mushrooms as much as I do. They’re almost addictively delicious and very healthy too.
In fact, mushrooms are filled with antioxidants and other nutrients that help maintain a healthy lifestyle. UCLA Health says they help:
- Decrease the risk of cancer
- Lower sodium intake
- Promote lower cholesterol
- Protect brain health
- Provide a source of vitamin D
- Stimulate a healthier gut
- Support a healthy immune system
This Hungarian Mushroom Soup is a standout favorite of soup recipes for me. And that’s saying a lot because soup is an every day meal at my house.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup Ingredients
When simmered together, these simple ingredients make the most delicious cream of mushroom soup. The exact measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s an overview of what you will need:
- Butter for sautéing the vegetables. You can substitute olive oil but for flavor, butter is better.
- Aromatics: chopped onions and minced garlic
- Sliced mushrooms
- Broth: I prefer vegetable broth but chicken broth can be used too
- Herbs and flavorings: soy sauce, sweet Hungarian style paprika and dried dill
- Milk and sour cream or yogurt for creaminess
- All-purpose flour for thickening
- Lemon juice to brighten and enhance the flavors
- Fresh parsley for garnishing
How to Make Mushroom Soup
Hungarian Mushroom Soup belongs in a category all on its own. It’s just that good! Full of flavor and creaminess.
And guess what? It’s a very easy soup to make. In fact, all it really needs is a little time.
Here’s a brief overview of how to make this incredibly delicious soup:
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven and sauté onions and mushrooms until soft. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, soy sauce, and seasoning. Cover and simmer.
- Make a slurry with flour and milk, stir it into the soup, cover, and simmer until thickened.
- Add sour cream (or yogurt), lemon juice, parsley, and salt and pepper; stir and cook over low heat until warm.
Mushroom Soup Tips
Use quality mushrooms: As they are the main event in this soup, it’s important to select mushrooms that look fresh, firm, and clean. Use your favorite mushroom variety like cremini or even simple button mushrooms.
Take your time: When sautéing the onions and mushrooms, it’s important to take your time and let the heat do it’s magic. Mushrooms need time to release their natural juices and develop a nice caramelization for the best flavor. It’s amazing how much it can produce with a little patience!
Paprika: While many of us think of this often-stocked pantry spice as ordinary, it makes a giant impact on this soup. For an authentic Hungarian Mushroom Soup flavor, you want to choose a Hungarian or Sweet Paprika. While smoked paprika is delicious in many recipes, Hungarian paprika is what you want here.
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika sweet Hungarian style
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Melt butter or olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth, soy sauce, paprika, and dill; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk milk and flour together in a separate bowl; stir into soup until blended. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sour cream (or yogurt), fresh parsley, lemon juice, salt, and ground black pepper; stir over low heat until warmed through.
Storing the SoupThis soup will keep refrigerated for up to five days in a covered container. Gently reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.