This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and delicious dessert and love warm banana bread, this 2 Minute Banana Bread Mug Cake is for you! It checks all the banana bread boxes with simple pantry ingredients and warm and cozy flavors… in 2 minutes in the microwave!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
For banana bread lovers, it’s simply irresistible. Especially on a chilly evening when you’re staying in and want to curl up with a warm and soft slice of banana bread.
This mug cake recipe is for those occasions. Well, and when you really want the quick bread but don’t want to wait an hour for baking.
Easy solution, delicious result!
Banana Bread Mug Cake Inspiration
I love mug cakes. So does the family. While I bake, often, and always have treats baked and ready in the freezer, there is something tangible about a warm-from-the-oven dessert on a rainy and cold day in January.
But that movie you’re dying to see… or the series you can’t help but binge, stepping away to bake a treat just isn’t going to happen.
Enter… mug cakes.
On that dreary evening in January, while craving my favorite banana bread recipe and thinking about my favorite mug cake recipe… the two ideas collided.
The answer, of course, is you can! And it’s delicious!
This Banana Bread Mug Cake takes 2 minutes to microwave and simple pantry ingredients. Read below for the ingredients you’ll need. only requires a handful of ingredients.
Banana Bread Mug Cake Ingredients
You can find the ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here is the list of what you’ll need to make banana bread… in a mug!
- Banana: mashed well
- Melted butter for flavor and moisture
- Milk: Dairy or nondairy, both work well
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda for rise
- Flavorings: Brown sugar for the best banana bread flavor, vanilla extract because almost everything is better with it, ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt
- Toppings: raisins and chopped nuts. These are optional as they are not mixed into the batter of the mug cake, but they do give this tender mug cake a delicious enhancement!
How to Make Banana Bread Mug Cake
In a bowl or a mug, melt the butter in the microwave.
Once melted, stir in mashed banana, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir well with a whisk or fork until thoroughly combined.
Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and pinch of salt (about 1/4 teaspoon). Stir until well combined. Then, top with raisins and chopped nuts to taste and if desired.
Microwave for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. In my microwave, the mug cake is perfect at about 1 minute, but my husband prefers 1 minute 10 seconds. Let the mug cake cool slightly before enjoying it.
You may want to add chopped bananas, raisins, and nuts for serving. Or… an additional drizzle of melted butter is delicious as well. If you’re so inclined, a scoop of ice cream is definitely yummy too!
Mug Cake Pro Tips
- While you can mix the ingredients in the mug, I find blending the ingredients in a separate bowl results in the best mug cake.
- Be sure to mix the ingredients well. Much like a traditional cake, begin with the wet ingredients, whisk well, and then fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Don’t over-microwave the mug cake; it can become overdone quickly.
- Let the mug cake cool before enjoying it; it’s super hot when it comes out of the microwave. Topping like ice cream helps cool it down quickly.
Banana Bread Mug Cake FAQ and Tips
I’m using a 14-ounce mug, but a 12-ounce mug would also be sufficient. You can measure the size of your mug by filling it with water, pouring it into a glass measure, and converting it to ounces. Be sure the mug you’re using is microwave-safe.
Absolutely. I often double or triple the recipe. Mix the ingredients in a separate bowl and then divide evenly into mugs.
Yes! The nuts and raisins are not mixed into the batter. Feel free to top it with your favorite ingredients.
Are you ready to make banana bread… in a mug? Me too! Cue the movie; it will only take minutes before dessert is ready!
More 2 Minute Mug Cakes:
- Gingerbread Mug Cake
- Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake
- Coconut Mug Cake
- 2 Minute Strawberry Mug Cake
- 2 Minute S’mores Mug Cake
Save this and pin it for later!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 ripe large banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon raisins, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon nuts, chopped, or to taste
- In a bowl or a mug, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Once melted, stir in mashed banana, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir well with a whisk or fork until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and pinch of salt (about 1/4 teaspoon). Stir until well combined. Then, top with raisins and chopped nuts to taste.
- Microwave for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. Mine is perfect at about 1 minute. Let cool slightly before adding additional chopped bananas, raisins and nuts if preferred. An additional drizzle of melted butter is delicious, too, or a scoop of ice cream is approved!
What size mug do you need? I'm using a 14-ounce mug because it's my favorite. When in the microwave, the mug cake rises to the top before settling down once cooked. A 12-ounce mug should also work.
Topping Ideas: Additional chopped bananas, raisins, and walnuts (or nuts) and a sprinkling of brown sugar (or coconut sugar). Or, vanilla ice cream is always delicious!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.