Banana Bread Pudding, is a simple and easy comfort food classic with a twist. It’s the flavor of an ample sweet cinnamon custard baked into cubes of leftover bread, sweetened with bananas. It’s a dream.
When you top it with a warm Vanilla Cream Sauce, it becomes the ultimate in comfort food.
Much like our always popular Cinnamon Brioche Bread Pudding, this Banana Bread Pudding will be a simple and easy treat you’ll return to often.
In fact, if you love banana bread, you can’t help but adore this cozy treat!
Banana Bread Pudding Ingredients
To make this warm and cozy dessert recipe, gather these simple ingredients.
French Bread, Italian, Sourdough… or even Challah:
Cube the bread into 1-inch pieces. Day-old bread is best but if you have fresh, pop the cubes into a 375-degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes to dry. Dry bread soaks up the custard much better.
You need about 1 cup of 1/4-inch slices of banana. I use one large banana, sliced.
Gather these simple pantry ingredients. Three large eggs, 2 cups of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
Warm Vanilla Cream Sauce Ingredients
The sauce isn’t absolutely necessary. It’s delicious enough without it. But oh my… with warm sauce drizzled over fresh from the oven Banana Bread Pudding? It becomes a dream.
Here’s what you need for the sauce.
- Milk (whole milk or 2%)
How to Make the Banana Bread Pudding
Lay slices of banana on the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole. Top with 1-inch cubbed bread.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, then add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Gently push the bread cubes and bananas into the egg mixture, stirring to thoroughly coat with the custard.
Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Drizzle Vanilla Cream Sauce over the top of warm Banana Bread Pudding before serving.
How to Store Leftovers
If you fortunate enough to have leftovers, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 4 cups bread, cubed in 1 in. pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Vanilla Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cups milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Banana Bread Pudding: Lay slices of banana on the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole. This helps keep the bananas from getting dried out when baked. Then scatter the bread cubes over the top of the banana slices.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, then add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Gently push the bread cubes into the egg mixture with the back of a spoon or spatula. You want all of the bread cubes to be thoroughly coated.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For the Sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the sugar and cornstarch. Then stir in the milk (or cream) and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the vanilla and serve over the Banana Bread Pudding.
- Any French, Italian, country loaf or even Challah is delicious when made into bread pudding. Day-old is best
so the drier bread soaks up the delicious custard.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container.
- If you love Banana Chocolate Chip, you might want to change up the recipe to include a sprinkling of chocolate chips over the bread pudding before you bake it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 9g