This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hot Chocolate Cookies, also called Hot Cocoa Cookies, are easy to make treats perfect for chilly winter days. Packed with decadent chocolate, reminiscent of your beloved mocha, and tender, gooey marshmallows. For an extra kick, you can add a touch of espresso to take these cookies to the next level!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Hot cocoa and chilly winter days belong together. And if I’m being really honest, I might say that even the hint of chilly days to come also deserve hot chocolate. For me, it’s anywhere from September onward. I’m a winter lover.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
When I first began putting this recipe together, my husband was wandering through the kitchen late one evening. “Taste test?” I questioned, to his delight. He’s always up for taste testing.
Before I even told him what the cookies were (other than the obvious chocolate), his first comment was, “It tastes like hot chocolate.”
I knew then the family would love these. And they do!
Hot Chocolate Cookies brings a new twist to chocolate cookies. And the marshmallows on top leave no doubt about what these delicious cookies will taste like!
Oh! And if you’re a hot chocolate fan and love to have batches on hand, you might also love 3 Ingredient Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix or consider a quick and easy hot chocolate gift idea from your kitchen!
Hot Chocolate Cookies Ingredients
If you love to make cookies, specifically chocolate chip cookies, these Hot Cocoa Cookies will be very similar, much like my Espresso Dark Double Chocolate Chip Cookies or Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. Simple ingredients and easy to make!
Here’s what you need:
- Butter softened to room temperature.
- Sugars: Both brown sugar and granulated sugar are used for the perfect sweet flavor
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (or Dutch-process cocoa powder).
- Baking soda and salt
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows: You can also use dehydrated mini marshmallows.
- Optional ingredient: instant espresso powder to elevate the chocolate flavors!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cookies
When I said the cookies were simple and easy, I meant it! There is no chilling of the dough needed. You can if you want to make them ahead, but it isn’t necessary. And believe me, I’ve made these dozens and dozens of times both ways.
Here’s how to make these easy chocolate cookies– begin by preheating the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 1: Chop the marshmallows and freeze
Roughly chop the mini marshmallows and place them in the freezer while making the cookie batter. This helps keep them from spreading too quickly and melting into the cookie batter. For this reason, I keep the cookie dough chilling in the refrigerator between batches.
Step 2: Make the Hot Chocolate Cookie Batter
Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into the butter mixture. Beat until just blended. Fold in the chocolate chips and slightly frozen chopped marshmallows.
Step 3: Scoop and Bake
Drop 2 tablespoons of dough (a cookie scoop helps!) onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the edges are set and lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
We have several options on the site if you are looking for a similar chocolate cookie to indulge in, bake for the holidays, or bring to a cookie exchange. You might like Peppermint Mocha Chocolate Blossom Cookies or Mexican Chocolate Cookies.
If you love a chocolate nut cookie, Easy Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies are similarly easy to make and so delicious.
For more cookie recipes, we have a page for that!
More Cookie Recipes to Try
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows chopped
- Roughly chop mini marshmallows and place them in the freezer while making the cookie batter.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into the butter mixture. Beat until just blended. Fold in the chocolate chips and slightly frozen chopped marshmallows.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough (a cookie scoop helps!) onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the edges are set and lightly browned. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.