This Baked Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream recipe is a hallmark of fall. An easy, classic favorite that’s incredibly delicious warm from the oven with a crumbly cinnamon-oat, buttery topping.
This Apple Crumble is a fall dessert you will want to make this season.
Apple Crumble, also known as Apple Crisp, is a staple in my family’s kitchens. My father grew up in an apple orchard in the Yakima Valley of Washington state.
Now, years later, he still maintains a small apple grove. And when the apples are ripe in the fall, the first recipe we make is always Apple Crumble.
How Many Apples Do I Need?
This simple dessert is made with 2½ pounds of baking apples. I like Golden Delicious apples but other varieties like Braeburn, Granny Smith, and Honey Crisp are good choices too.
Taste of Home has a detailed post on which apples are best for baking you might want to check out.
As a general rule of thumb, 1 lb of apples is equal to 2 large apples or 3 medium-size apples.
How to Make Apple Crumble
This is such a simple recipe to make. Step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of how to make this easy apple crumble.
- Make the crumble topping by combining the ingredients in a bowl and stirring with a fork until crumbly.
- Slice the apples and toss with sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch or flour and cinnamon. Transfer to a square baking dish, top with crumble.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the topping is crisp.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This apple peeler, corer, and slicer makes quick work of any apple dessert, like apple pie, crisps, tarts, baked apples… even peeling potatoes. It’s one of my favorite fall kitchen tools that transforms a somewhat tedious chore into a quick and easy fun chore!
I purchased mine at Amazon but I would highly recommend getting one wherever you buy your kitchen tools.
More Dessert Recipes to Try
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (I prefer light brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) melted
- 2½ pounds baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the crumble: Whisk the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Pour in the melted butter and stir with a fork until crumbles form. Set aside.
- For the Apples: In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, flour or cornstarch, and cinnamon. Transfer the apples to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples.
- Baking the Crumble: Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the apples are tender (I like to check this with a fork) and the topping is nicely browned and crisp. Let cool for a few minutes before spooning warm apple crumble into bowls. Top with vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g