Black Eyed Peas Dip
Black Eyed Peas Dip is a warm, creamy and delicious dip oozing with cheesy goodness. Packed with flavor it can be as spicy or mild as you wish. Simple to make with pantry ingredients, it’s a dip recipe you’re going to love.
This party-style dip has been making regular appearances at my house during the football season. Warmly spiced with cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, it’s been the perfect accompaniment to party foods of all kinds!
I love black eyed peas, whether that be for New Year celebrations, like New Year’s Day Black Eyed Peas Soup or healthy options throughout the year like Longevity Ikarian Stew with Black Eyed Peas and Kale.
This dip is a delicious way to spread black eyed peas love on game days, for the Super Bowl, or on days when you’re craving party food and salty-type treats.
Here’s what you need to make this fabulous dip!
Black Eyed Peas Dip Ingredients
- Canned black-eyed peas
- Chopped red onion and green onions (for garnishing)
- Sour cream
- Canned diced chilis: I love fire-roasted chilis in this recipe, but if you want still more heat, try jalapenos!
- Grated cheese: I love sharp cheddar, Pepper Jack, and Colby in this dip, but use your favorite grated cheese.
- Salsa: Again, use your favorite brand, or you could also make your own salsa to serve on the side. Mild, medium, or spicy all work well.
- Seasonings: Ground cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste
Kitchen Tools Needed:
This is such a simple recipe to make that all you need is a mixing bowl and an 8 x 8 or 1.5 quart baking dish. A small cast iron skillet also makes a for a great baking dish too! Plus, it’s a fun serving tool as well.
A good chef’s knife or a vegetable chopper (affiliate link) is helpful when chopping the onion.
How to Make Black Eyed Peas Dip
This is such a simple oven-baked dip to make. Step-by-step instructions are in the card below, but here is a quick overview:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mash half of the black-eyed peas and add to a bowl along with the onion, sour cream, chilis, cheese, salsa, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Spread into the baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling.
Black Eyed Peas Dip Toppings
I like to top the dip with additional shredded cheese and chopped red onions. I also like to add sliced green onions and fresh cilantro or parsley if I have it on hand.
Serving the Dip
This dip is so versatile that you can serve it with tortilla chips or even healthier options like carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes and other veggies. Here are some more ideas you could serve with this dip:
- 5 Minute Refried Bean Dip Recipe
- Easy Homemade Salsa with Pantry Ingredients
- So Easy Sheet Pan Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Easy Cowboy Caviar: Variation of the Original
- Everything Bagel Pretzels: Quick & Easy Party Food
More Bean Recipes You Will Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Black Eyed Peas Dip
- 1 (14-ounce) can black-eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced chilis I love fire-roasted chilis
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated (I prefer sharp cheddar but Pepper Jack is really good too)
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish (or 1½ qt) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mash half of the black-eyed peas and add both the whole and the mashed into a large bowl.
- Add the onion, sour cream, diced chilis, cheese, salsa, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Spread the dip into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Top with additional cheese if you want along with cherry tomatoes and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Made this for our party- was so good!